Forestry experts are available to assist woodland owners with technical, financial and educational assistance.
- State service foresters with the Maryland Department of Natural Resource Forest Service are available in each county. They provide woodland stewardship management planning services and help with financial assistance, but they cannot help with commercial timber sales.
- Industrial foresters work for a specific mill and represent the interests of that mill. Depending on the company, they may provide commercial timber marketing and harvesting services to private woodland landowners.
- Private consulting foresters are independent foresters hired by the landowner to represent their interests. They offer a range of services related to timber marketing, developing stewardship plans, and other services. They are typically paid for their timber marketing services by a percentage of the timber sale revenue.
- University of Maryland Extension foresters provide statewide educational assistance.
Locate an Expert
- Branching Out Forest Stewardship Newsletter- free quarterly publication
- Marketing Forest Products: Understanding the Sales Process (pdf)
- Timber Market Resources & Stumpage Prices
- Green Book 2014: How to Apply for Woodland Harvest Permits in MD (pdf)
- Forestry Best Management Practices (2015 erosion & sediment control standards) (pdf)
- MD Master Logger Program
- Forest Thinning: A Landowner’s Tool for Healthy Woods (pdf)
- Treatments for Improving Degraded Hardwood Stands (pdf)